EXCITING Journaly Announcement: BADGES!

EXCITING Journaly Announcement: BADGES!

journaly updates

It's time for the third entry of Journaly TLDR; Weekly and this one is really, really exciting – I'm excited to announce a huge feature update that I've been thinking about for about 2.5 years and actively started working on back in November, 2021. I even spent months taking online courses to learn digital illustration in order to finally turn this one into a reality, and it's finally done!

A Complete Re-Design & Expansion of the Journaly Badge System

Yes – finally! I know that so many of you have wished and been waiting for a better and more robust experience around badges and achievements on this platform. We had badges all the way back in the Alpha testing phase before launching Journaly Beta on December 31st, 2020, but these were the early, early days of Journaly and back then, the badge system was more of a proof of concept. We only had 7 badges in total and they hadn't been fully designed yet, unlike everything else in the app. We found that users actually loved them and ever since then I've been dying to add tons of new badges with beautiful, custom designs that you would be excited to earn and have displayed on your profile.

That's why I'm so excited to share that today, Journaly has gone from having just 7 badges to 62! Not only that, I've created a Journaly Badge Design System that contains a selection of custom designs along with a color palette that encodes 3 "levels" – where more gold is introduced into the badge design as you advance to higher tiers for badges that include numbers. I had such a wonderful time finally diving into digital illustration and, although I know they could be greatly improved, I feel really happy with how they turned out and can't wait to continue working on custom illustrations for Journaly design assets!

NOTE: Many of you will have already earned some or even lots of these new badges. All you need to do is perform any of the actions found below and our system will see any related badges you have earned and award them to you. For example, if you have already written 52 posts, right now your profile will only show the "10 Posts" badge, but the next time you publish a post our system will automatically award you the "20 Posts" and "50 Posts" badges :)

Introducing Your New Badges

First, let's take a quick tour of the new badge designs! I loved the design concept of making them feel like the kind of physical badges you would sew onto a sweater, uniform, or backpack – so that was part of the inspiration here. This image showcases each unique design at the middle color-tier with a gold icon:

Next, here are all the badges available today:

Achievements

Special badges for specific achievements on the platform.

Alpha User

Participated in the Journaly Alpha testing.

Beta User

Participated in the initial phase of Beta testing.

Bug Hunter

Has helped us make Journaly a better place for everyone by reporting one or more bugs.

Code Contributor

Has contributed code to the Journaly codebase.

Spam Reporter

Has helped us maintain our wonderful community and culture of meaningful content by reporting one or more spam posts.

Necromancer

Gave new feedback on a post that's over a week old – use our "Needs Feedback" filter on the My Feed page to find old posts that still need feedback!

Odradek

A mystery badge...

"Count" Badges

Badges to celebrate you achieving a certain number (X) of actions.

Wrote X Posts

10, 20, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 350, 500

Corrected X Posts

10, 25, 50, 100, 150, 250, 500, 1000

Left X Inline Feedback Comments

10, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 5000

Left X Post Comments

10, 50, 100, 250, 300

Received X Thanks

10, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 1250, 1500, 2250, 2500, 5000, 10000

Gave X Thanks

10, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2250, 2500, 5000, 10000

I also created a master sheet of all the badges which you can find here :)

What's Next?

I'm also very happy to share that more wonderful updates are coming! As of now, you'll just receive an email notification when you achieve a new badge, but very soon we'll be creating a nice in-app notification for a much smoother experience.

Furthermore, I have lots of ideas for many more, really fun badges, here are just a few of them:

• Novelist: Write a post over 1,000 words long
  • Multilingual: Write posts in 2 languages
  • Polyglot: Write posts in 4 or more languages
  • Content Creator: Write a post in your native language to provide learners with authentic reading content

We'd Love To Hear From You!

What do you think of these new badges!? Do you have a favorite one? Do you have any cool new badge ideas you'd like us to consider? I'd love to read your feedback and thoughts in the comments below!

As always, thank you all for being here and making Journaly such a special place and such a warm community. I wish I could show you the app that Journaly is going to be one day... You all will always be the special users who were here for these moments, watching Journaly grow up, one feature at a time.

Happy journaling,

Robin

25