Can Cats Change Passwords?

Can Cats Change Passwords?

animals
cats

Can Cats Change Passwords?

Some time ago, I started my computer, typed in my password and got the answer: “Wrong password”.

What was that?

I never ever change my password (even though I know I should) and I never enter it wrong.

Anyway, there's always a first time for everything.

So I entered the password again, slowly and carefully, and got the same result.

I actually don't know what happens if you type your password wrong three times, but since three is the magic number, I decided to think hard before trying again.

A good rule in life is that there's no point in doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If you want the output to change, you usually have to change the input.

Luckily my son was here that weekend. So I said, “"Dani, help me out. I'm fresh out of ideas. I know my password. I wouldn't type it wrong twice. Can you think of another reason why it isn't working?”

And my son looked at me and I was sure he thinks I'm just a bit senile.

“You're sure you know your password?”

“Yep.”

“And you didn't enter it wrong?”

“No. I mean, I told you that a few seconds ago. I know it - I didn't enter it wrong. The capslock isn't on and the numlock isn't either. There has to be another reason."

"Okay, okay, I was just asking."

Then I remembered that the cat had been running over my keyboard lately, as she often does. But I mean, how could a cat change a password while walking across the keyboard? That's very unlikely, isn't it?

Well, actually my son didn't believe that cats can change passwords either.

Finally he said, “Okay, Mum, just give me your password and I'll type it in.”

This almost made me angry because I was sure he couldn't type in a password any better than me.

Anyway, I wrote my password on a piece of paper, just to make sure there was no misunderstanding. And when my son read my password, he smiled, typed it in and suddenly the computer was unlocked.

What had happened?

Well, first my lovely son told me something about his magic fingers, but in the end the solution was more down to earth.

Dani combined the cat story with my password (it contained a “y”) and typed it in as if I had a qwerty keyboard and this worked.

So now I know that cats can't change passwords, but they can (through whatever magic shortcode) change the language of the keyboard.

12