Colour Coding

Colour Coding

To all the people who learn(ed) more than one foreign language. Does anyone use some kind of colour coding system while learning a particular language?

I am asking, because I developed a weird but colourful habit and I am still hoping that I am not the only fan of colours here...

It all started 10 years ago with my flashcard app. Every morning on my way to work I revised vocabulary with my app and I wanted to visually differentiate between the two languages I was learning. So I chose a different colour for each and changed the background colour of my flashcards accordingly. Then, when I started with the French language, I found this nice orange French notebook and that's how orange became my colour for the French language. I used an orange highlighter to mark unknown words in texts, started to write all words in my vocab list that were in the feminine with an orange pen and modified the background for my French vocabulary flashcards into that colour.

In the following years I added one or two languages (and colours) and sometimes I ask myself whether the colour coding really helps my brain. Or maybe I just imagine the effect because I can put each language into a specific (imaginary) box. However, the English language will always look blue to me.

[picture source: foodingredientsfirst.com]

0