Pronunciation of Names - Answering my own Question

In this post, I asked Uly about his opinion on the following question:

What are your thoughts on pronunciation of foreign names in another language such as English? Do you think people should put more effort into pronouncing someone's name in the original way or do foreigners have to expect their names to be butchered by speakers of other languages?

Here's his response: https://journaly.com/post/38753

So first of all, sorry for the delay. Currently, a lot is going on in my life and I simply didn't feel like putting my thoughts into words.

Here's my answer to the question:

In German, there are a lot of loan words from all different kinds of languages. In former days the spelling was changed in order to create a similar pronunciation like "Menü" which is written with the umlaut to fit the French pronunciation of a "u". Other words such as "Spaghetti" or "Stracciatella" keep the original Italian spelling and are pronounced assimilated to the original pronunciation. Names are a different story. I remember a Davide in my school who probably was Italian. We always called him Davíde [davˈiːdə] with an emphasis on the second syllable and I always disliked the name. Now that I speak Italian, I know that the correct pronunciation is Dávide [dˈavide] with the emphasis on the first syllable and I have to say that I now like it.

Fortunately, I don't have a lot of trouble with my name when it's pronounced by speakers of different languages. Linda being an international name was one of the reasons my dad chose it. He has a very German name that is barely pronounceable outside of Germany: Werner [ˈvɛʁnɐ].

So even though people usually don't butcher my name, I consider it appreciation towards the person pronouncing their name the best way I can. That's why I approach new colleagues with foreign names by asking them to teach me how to pronounce their names correctly and I then will teach other colleagues. I agree with Uly that sometimes it might not be worth the effort e.g. when you see a person only once, but talking about names and their pronunciation could also be a good conversation starter to get to know more about somebody's cultural background.

So if I had a name like Julia [ˈjuːli̯a] for example, I would like people to pronounce it the German way and therefore I'd try to adjust the spelling to the pronunciation system of the speakers' language. For example Yulia/Yulya for Spanish and English speakers, Joulia for French speakers, etc. Of course, this method is limited to my knowledge of foreign languages.

Headline image by towfiqu999999 on Unsplash

5