A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time

multilingual book club 02

This time in English I'm going to read “A Wrinkle in Time” by Madeleine l'Engle.

It's quite an old book (published in 1962) and was written for children aged 10–14.

In 2003, there was a television adaption of the novel, and in 2018 a film was produced based on the book. There has also been a play adaption, an opera and even a graphic novel of it.

Although it's an old book, I hope it will be entertaining and not difficult to read.

The protagonist of the book is thirteen-year-old Meg Murry. She lives with her mother, three brothers, a cat and a dog. Her father, a physician, is not with them. Her mother doesn't know why he has disappeared and why he can no longer write letters.

While Meg's two younger twin brothers are normal children, Meg and the youngest brother, Charles Wallace, seem to be kind of different. Meg sometimes has a temper. She finds herself in an outsider position and has a hard time at school, although she seems to be very intelligent.

Little Charles is five and not yet at school. He started talking late (at the age of four), but when he finally started to speak, he could all of a sudden speak in long, precise and elaborate sentences. Charles seems to be very sensitive, it's almost as if he could read the thoughts of Meg and her mother.

A few pages ago, Meg and Charles met a strange neighbour: Mrs. Whatsit.

Well, that's as far as I got and so far I'm pleased with my choice.

I like Meg and her brother, and I'm curious how and where we will find their father.

The book is rather easy to read. There are words I don't know but mostly not in strategic places, and there are no super long sentences.

Not really a challenge, one might say, but at the moment I'm just reading in bed, for half an hour, before I fall asleep, and as at this time of day my understanding of English has slipped a bit, I wanted an easier book for this round of the book club.

5