How to Like in Other Languages?

How to Like in Other Languages?

language learning

Have you ever changed the language on Facebook? Facebook has so many bad sides, but they do provide a whole lot of translations of their user interface. The first time I changed the language on Facebook was back in 2011 when one of my friends told me that there was "Pirate's English" available. Researching it today, I made the sad discovery that it doesn't exist anymore! What a shame! It used to be so cool because you could "Arrr!" a post instead of liking it and "scrawl yer thoughts" instead of writing a comment. The hilarious thing was that not only were those two features translated into Pirate's English, but also your friends didn't post "an hour ago," but "'bout one turn o' yer hourglass ago". I'd really have liked to use Facebook in Pirate's English for a bit.

The second time I changed the language on Facebook was when I prepared for my Erasmus semester in Valencia, Spain. These little inputs of language helped me a lot on my Spanish-learning journey. I kept the language set to Spanish after I left Valencia until I was given a Facebook page to manage. Facebook sent a lot of notifications regarding this page, which exceeded my Spanish skills. Reluctantly, I changed it back to German. Sometimes I would go back to Spanish, but every time I had to handle things regarding the page, I needed to have Facebook talk German to me.

When I started learning Portuguese, changing the language on Facebook was one of the first things I did. That way, all the time I was spending on Facebook wouldn't be time wasted. I also liked Portuguese Facebook pages to have my feed full of Portuguese. Later, I also changed my phone's language to Portuguese. In so doing, I realized that my Portuguese had gotten ahead of my Spanish. Now that my Facebook feed is in Portuguese for the most part, I am reading most of my news in Portuguese, sometimes also posts about Germany. I think this is cool and strange at the same time. Cool because I can understand the Portuguese news pretty well, and because it gives me insight on how other countries view Germany. Strange because I feel like I'm looking at Germany from the outside in.

Learning languages is such a fascinating hobby. There are so many things to learn, to enjoy, and to like!

To answer the title's question, here's a little table of how to like things on Facebook in different languages.

Language

How to "like"

Like

German

Gefällt mir

Portuguese

Gosto

Spanish

Me gusta

Afrikaans

Hou van

French

J'aime

Polish

Lubię to!

Turkish

Beğen

Danish

Synes godt om

Catalan

M'agrada

Russian

Hравится

Swedish

Gilla

Italian

Mi piace

Esperanto

Ŝati

Dutch

Leuk

I'm sure I didn't cover all the languages they have by a long shot, so feel free to tell me in the comments how to like things in your native language or in the language(s) you're learning.

4