A Hidden Scenic Site: Part 1

A Hidden Scenic Site: Part 1

travel

Locals in Toyama, where I live, really like the Tateyama mountain range. People see it on a daily basis, and when they get good views of it they never stop praising its beauty. On days like these, it's blue and white, with a distinct contour.

However, on overcast days, particularly toward dusk, I'm much more drawn to Tateyama. Moving clouds and the shifting color and angle of the sunlight make it appear to be alive. When I drive east from my hometown towards it on such days, I get a strange, frightening feeling.

Thus, Tateyama is beautiful when seen from a distance. Also, when you climb it, you can enjoy the panorama from the side of the mountain. There are rails for trolleys that were originally used to transport materials by trolley for the construction of the Kurobe Dam, which is now used to transport tourists.

I rode it as a child and have vivid memories of the surroundings. However, I've heard that there's a route that isn't open to tourists, and the view from it is much more stunning, genuinely breathtaking.

To be continued...

5