Comedian 2.0

Comedian 2.0

fiction

“Chloe Ann, live from the Grand City Art Gallery, where things have gone from fancy art show to total meltdown!”

Behind Chloe, a scene of utter turmoil unfolds. A group of art collectors, usually known for their calm demeanor, are in a frenzy. Shoving and jostling like teenagers at a concert, they fight for a prime position in front of… a brown, slightly mushy banana peel. Taped to the wall, it proudly bears the label Totally Rotten.

“Apparently, this, uh, unconventional piece of art titled Totally Rotten has turned these collectors into a bunch of nutty banana enthusiasts! They’re throwing down big bucks for a banana peel! Crazy, right?”

A woman in a fur coat waves a wad of cash in the air. “Five thousand bucks! That peel is mine!”

A man in a sweatshirt pushes past her and strides forward, holding up his phone, flaunting his banking app. “Nope! Six thousand! It’s like finding a twenty-dollar bill on the sidewalk!”

Undeterred, another woman clambers onto a chair to outbid the rest. “Eight thousand!”

Not wanting to be outdone, a man in a suspender suit sneers at her. “Ten thousand!”

“This isn’t your typical art auction, folks. We’ve got millionaires fighting over a piece of fruit that belongs in the compost bin! Who knew a banana peel could cause such a stir?”

A security guard approaches the artist, a young man in a beret. “Uh, sir, this… banana peel. Isn’t it, uh, past its prime?”

“Dude, that’s the whole point! It’s art! This rotten banana shows how nothing lasts forever, not even money! Most people can barely make ends meet, let alone spend a fortune on a piece of fruit!”

The guard stares at the artist, then back to the hyped collectors, completely bewildered and not knowing what to make of the situation.

Chloe chuckles as she witnesses the whole scene “Only in the art world, folks. Only in the art world. Back to you in the studio.”

Headline image by brandomakesbranding on Unsplash

4