Cold Shoulder

Cold Shoulder

fiction

That night, I came home from work later than usual. Even before I opened the door, I knew he wasn’t going to make a beeline for me like he always did — we had gone for a run in the park that morning, and for some stupid reason, we had our first disagreement after five happy years of living together.

I went into the kitchen and saw him drinking some water, pretending he hadn't seen me. He looked quite collected, expecting me to say something. But I knew that silence was the calm before the storm, so I thought I'd better prepare for a long cold shoulder. He was trying to make me feel like I was the one to blame, so any effort I made to lighten things up would most likely have gone down the drain.

After quite a while, his silence became uncomfortable. I wanted nothing more than to go back in time and change what had happened that morning so unlike others. I have to admit that I had put him on a pedestal, and that had been the narrative of our life together. I wish I hadn't put my foot in my mouth.

Finally, I decided to take a chance and whispered in his ear, “Would you like to go for a walk in the park?” He quickly leaped up and barked as if to say, “Let’s go!”. I put on his leash, and we headed off to the park together as if nothing had happened. Dogs rule so much, and mine even more so.

Headline image by rzunikoff on Unsplash

4