What makes someone become a reader?

What makes someone become a reader?

What makes someone a reader? I've been thinking about this for a while, and I haven't found the answer yet, so I thought I might as well write it down in order to organise my ideas and maybe discuss about this with other book lovers here.

I usually write in German, but it would probably take me hours and lots of brain power in order to express myself as authentically as I would like without overusing google translate, Chat GPT and such things.

I've always loved books and good stories, and I can't imagine my life without them. But reading and loving good stories are not the same process. I believe all humans love stories, it is almost like a protection mechanism in our bodies. When you are swept by a good story, be it a fairy tale or an adventure your friend is telling you about, the world around you seems not to matter anymore.

However, reading is different. Yes, human beings live and breathe stories, but we are not all readers. The art of reading is a learnt process, not a natural one like listening to stories. One other thing as well is that reading is mostly a solitary activity, while sharing stories is a collective one.

Reading is also a habbit that requires concentration and effort. I'm talking here about Literature, not other kinds of reading, such as consuming newspapers, for instance, but I guess both folow the same principles.

It is not a secret that, if we are exposed to books from an early age, we are more likely to become book lovers. However, the love for reading can also appear later in life. But why? Maybe because of school. An encouraging teacher, a good library, anything can awaken what will become, hopefully, that wonderful and uncontrolable hunger for words.

That's basically everything I had to say. If someone has other thoughts or ideas about this topic, I'd be glad to know!

2