To be ready for own fears

To be ready for own fears

lifestyle

I've thoroughly read Seneca's letter №4, dedicated to readiness for death for the most part. Additionally, recently, I had a dispute with my close friend about this Stoic approach. We exchanged our opposing opinions on this matter. My friend presumes that preparing yourself for death will decrease your ability to feel emotions and weaken your desires for other aspects of life. Maybe I've oversimplified her explanation. Anyway, I see the huge profit of preparedness for our main fears. Let me explain my point.

Seneca wrote about the fear of death, however, the majority of us don't think about this ultimate event on the whole. I am not an exception. I am afraid of much more the pain or suffering associated with death than with uncertainty of my being after death. In my personal rank of the strongest fears my death is not a leader. I am indeed concerned about the lives of my children and my elderly mother. Due to my extroverted personality, I don't poison my mood with these kinds of concerns on a daily basis. However, I have a couple of friends who do. I assume these people may cure themselves using Seneca's method.

One funny thought came to my mind during the reading. We read a lot that death should frighten mostly atheists because believers have an afterlife. On the other hand, this afterlife is full of punishments according to most religions. Atheists aren't afraid of anything like that and my friend's attitude is proof of it.

Another useful thought visited me when I realized that I already use Seneca's recommendation for some of my fears. For example, understanding the finiteness of love scares me out of my wits. It would have spoiled my feelings and intentions, if only I hadn't prepared myself for the inevitable. From own experience, I may claim that this inner readiness for loss doesn't make you less alive or eager (this argument is for my friend, who will read this post). On the contrary, you appreciate every upcoming moment of your happy existence and every moment spent with your love. It seems I learned that at the beginning of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Before that, I never lived and made decisions with one day's perspective (when you feel like there's no tomorrow). I would say that this fatalistic attitude towards daily life is significantly sharper (and more delightful) in comparison with my previous way of thinking.

To sum up, I like Seneca's advice of preparation ourselves for the worst. I think it rather relieves us of the pressure of fears than it makes us feel less alive. Any fear is a poison, so the less of this emotion the better.

4