How McDonald's Menus Help to Boost Profits

business
education
psychology

The other day I read some news about how McDonald's menus help boost profits. I found the article interesting, so let me share it with you all.

When you visit McDonald's, you'll find the photographic displays behind the counters, and the displays usually only show promoted products and combo meals. And those lower-priced single items are only shown in the full printed menus on the counter. So when you want to select something not on the displays it is a rush to find it. In addition, you would feel pressured when you have a long line of people behind you. At this moment, you wouldn't make the best selection and order something that is not your favourite or something you're already very familiar with, meaning you are kind of tricked by their menus and forced to select what the vendor wants you to order.

I wouldn't say that what McDonald's is doing is wrong as businesses are always supposed to aim to maximize their profits. It's only natural for them to behave like that based on the business principle to boost their sales. But the important point is we need to be aware that there are always business strategies behind every single purchase. And we also need to try to be smart consumers to make the best decisions for ourselves.

2