CENTRAL STATION

CENTRAL STATION

cinema
culture
recommendations

If you do a search of the best Brazilian films you will surely find Central do Brasil within these rankings. For me the best Brazilian film.

The story begins at the train station where Dora, a retired teacher, earns money by writing letters to illiterate people. There, she meets Joshua and his mother. Shortly after, the mother is run over and dies, so Josue is orphaned. Dora sells the boy to a supposed adoption organization that is actually an organization that traffics with children. When she repents, she rescues the boy and the two flee to the interior of Brazil in search of the boy's father. It is on this journey that the two characters are transformed and form a very strong bond. The ending is the most moving I have ever seen.

The interesting thing about this film is the subtle transformation of two of the characters, both loners. Dora at the beginning is a cynical, damaged, selfish person, who survives without love or hope for a better life . She changes this behaviour little by little , to expose a more compassionate, generous and loving personality. On the other hand Josué is a mistrustful, haughty boy, who does not want to accept help from anyone because deep down he is afraid of being abandoned again, but ends up opening his heart and accepts that people can physically leave our lives but that does not mean they stop loving us.

I want to highlight this old letter-writing job for illiterate people, in a Cantinflas film (Mexican comedian) "The Minister and I" also is found such a character. This makes me reflect that despite the differences between countries in South America and Central America, we share similar problems too.

0