Ostaliheliga: We Are Grateful

Ostaliheliga: We Are Grateful

culture
intercultural communication
multilingual book club 04

Osiyo nigada! (Hello everyone, in Cherokee; pronounced: oh-see-yo knee-gah-dah) Yes, it's not Mandarin but it is a syllabary. I just can't figure out how to get the keyboard for the syllabary to work on my laptop. (I'll see if I can fix that before my next post.)

This is a children's book that I'm reading. It covers the seasons in Cherokee, and has them both phonetically (as I've done here) and in syllabary. Then it explains the culture of each season in English.

I have to say that it's not as much Cherokee as I was hoping, but on the other hand, I have two different Cherokee dictionaries . . . one that is primarily phrases and typical short sentences . . . so I'm going to use this as a stepping stone and see if I can figure out how to say the English part in Cherokee.

I did just pass Cherokee 3, which doesn't make me fluent at all . . . it was translating syllabary into English . . . but I got much better at the syllabary, and as any of you doing this book club edition in Mandarin will know, being able to see the characters and know the sounds that go with them without having to look it up, is huge.

My next post will include a photo of the book cover, and I'll divide the number of pages by the weeks we have left, and see what sentences I can come up with in syllabary (and phonetically) for those pages. Maybe this is what I need to get more than the basic phrases ingrained into my head. My vocabulary retention is not the best, here, and I don't know if not being as good at the syllabary until now, was a factor.

If anyone knows of any other children's books in Cherokee, please give me a heads up! Wado, ginali. (Thank you, friend; pronounced: wah-doe gee-nah-lee.)

3