My relationship with French

My relationship with French

I had a strange relationship with French. At ten years old I went to a new school and this school had French as a compulsory subject. My former school didn't teach French so when I went to class I had to study it quickly to catch up with my classmates. Then at highschool I had French again, as a compulsory subject. Since not all schools taught it, we started learning it from scratch. It wasn't difficult because I'd already studied it at school but classes were slow and boring.

After highschool I could choose between arts, letters and sciences to continue studying. I chose arts. Letters and art students had some subjects in common so we shared class regularly. It happened that in first grade art students couldn't study French because it meant less art study time but then in second grade everything changed and it was compulsory. Half class knew French and the other half didn't, so we started it from scratch. I ended up disliking French.

When I graduated I knew basics very well but just that. Then at College I could choose between French and Arabic and honestly I chose French because Arabic looked scary. I had also studied French previously so I thought it would be easy. It wasn't. My teacher was too fast explaining everything and really mean when we made mistakes. I ended up hating French and quiting the class. Next year I chose Arabic and it wasn't that scary. My Arabic teacher made classes enjoyable and at the end I had good marks.

After College I thought about giving French another chance, because I didn't hate it because it was hard or ugly but because the classes I had weren't the best. Now I'm learning French at my pace, in the way I want, and without mean teachers.

6