Do You Need a Bucket List?

Do You Need a Bucket List?

psychology
habits

I’m an absolute lover of all kinds of lists – shopping list, daily to-do lists, must-have lists and so on…

They all help me to organize my time and the space around me. I recently came across an interesting video about a kind of list I had no idea about. Thant is the so-called “bucket list”. The name originated from old English. People create these lists in order to keep track of the most important and unbelievable things they want to accomplish before they die.

Creating and maintaining a bucket list has its pros and cons. On the one hand, it helps one overcome anxiety and the fear of persuing your dreams, however risky they may be.

Let’s say, for instance, that you’ve always wanted to try skydiving. But in your mind, you have the fear visualizing how someone will be checking the rope before you jump.

Since you promise to live out your bucket list, you’ll push yourself outside your comfort zone to its limits and beyond. Continuously doing things like that leads you to the state where a little piece of the fear of the unknown is removed and replaced with a little piece of empowerment. As a result, you get the feeling that the size of your fear bubble has gotten smaller.

But there’s also another point of view. By having a bucket list of adventures to tick off, you’re just deceiving yourself thinking you have total control over your life. Moreover, it takes away any chances of you being spontaneous.

As for me, I always try to push my boundaries and try something new. And it’s not necessarily some kind of adventure. The latest thing I set as a rule for myself is to learn a poem by heart every week. A few years ago, I took an intensive course for boosting one’s memory, and one way to remember things was by memorizing poems. Lately, I’ve started doing is somehow spontaneously and totally loved the process.

Thanks for corrections to @CocoPop

I'm an absolute lover of all kinds of lists. A shopping list, daily to-do lists, a must have list and so on... They all help me to organise time and space around me. Lately I met up an interesting piece of video about an unknown for me type of list. That is so called 'a backet list'. The name originated from old English. People create such lists to have in mind the most important and unbelievable things they wand to accomplish before the death.

Having and creating a bucket list has its pros and cons. From the one poin of view, it helps to overcome anxiety and fear of following your dreams.

Try to imagine you always want to try skydiving. Perhaps in your thoughts you have the fear visualizing how someone will check the rope before you jump. But with your promise to live your backet list, you'll push your comfort zone to its limits and beyond it. Continuously doing things like that leads you to a state, when a little piece of the fear of the unknown is removed and replaced with a little piece of empowerment. As a result you get the feeling that the size of your fear bubble has gotten smaller.

But there is also another point of view. By having a bucket list of adventures to tick off, you just deceiving yourself thinking you totally control your life. Moreover, it takes you away from the chance to be spontaneously.

What concerning me, I always try to push my boundaries trying something new. And it's not necessary some kind of adventures. The latest thing I set as a rule that is learning a poem by heart every week. A few years ago I had an intensive course of boosting memory, and one of types of remembering things was learing poems. Lately I started doing it somehow spontaneously and totally loved the process.

2