Love, language, coffe

Love, language, coffe

literature
language learning
love

I´m sitting on the caffe, my back towards the door. I can´t see who is comming, I just listen.

The place is packed with people, busy, noisy sometimes grumpy. Every one shouts with those sharp, strong and quick sounds that they call words.

I feel out of place, so small among this big bodys. But I wait with the hot cup of dark coffe in my hands, trying to melt among this people like the sugar in my drink.

His voice come to my ears and I know it´s him. I don´t turn, just follow the sound, soft, slow, warm. So different. He laughs as he speaks without haste, he takes his time and pauses every now and then, like he has no worries or other place to be.

I´m curious but I wait and listen carefully with my untrain ears to capture some meaning out of that mix of sounds. I´ve been practicing for weeks now, out in the darkness, feeling kind of stupid for having that kind of reason to learn a language.

However, it works, his words are not so foreign anymore, I recognice them as a face in a crowd, vaguely. I wait and I listen and wait till he says: “La muchacha bonita sigue aquí”. And I´m sure he talks about me when I turn and he is looking right at me, then smiles as he pronounce without sound: “I got you”.

*“La muchacha bonita sigue aquí” (The beauty girl is still here).

0