1. Things you can hold
I am holding a cold carton of soy milk from the convenience store.
我攞住一盒喺便利店買嘅凍豆漿。
Is that a passport in your hand? Yes, I am going to cross the border today.
你手上面有本護照係咪呀?係呀,我今日過關。
What is in that small cardboard box? It is the herbal tea that I bought at the Chinese medicine shop.
嗰個細紙皮箱入面有咩呀?係我喺中藥舖買嘅涼茶。
2. Things you can point at
That old banyan tree in the square provides a lot of shade.
廣場嗰棵舊榕樹好好遮蔭。
Is that the footbridge that leads to the housing estate? No, that is the footbridge to Landmark North mall.
嗰條天橋係咪通往公共屋邨㗎?唔係,嗰條係去上水廣場嘅天橋。
Where is the bicycle parking area? It is over there, next to the MTR station exit.
單車泊位喺邊度呀?喺嗰度,地鐵站出口隔籬。
3. General actions or events
I am watching the people pulling large suitcases along the street.
我望住啲人喺條街度拉緊大件行李。
Do you usually eat lunch at the Shek Wu Hui Market Cooked Food Centre? Yes, the food there is very cheap and delicious.
你通常係咪喺石湖墟街市熟食中心食晏㗎?係呀,嗰度啲嘢食又平又好食。
Why is the train station so crowded this morning? Because many people are traveling to Shenzhen for work.
點解今朝火車站咁逼嘅?因為好多人去深圳返工。
4. Things you remember
I remember seeing many green fields and farms here when I was a child.
我記得我細個嗰陣,呢度仲有好多田地同農場。
Did you visit the Liu Man Shek Tong ancestral hall last year? Yes, I went there on a school trip.
你上年有冇去過廖萬石堂呀?有呀,我跟學校旅行去過。
What did you buy the last time you went shopping in Sheung Shui? I bought some herbal medicine and a new umbrella.
你上次喺上水買咗啲咩呀?我買咗啲中草藥同埋一把新遮。
5. Things you imagine
I imagine riding my bicycle along the Ng Tung River all the way to Kun Lung Wai.
我想像由梧桐河踩單車去到覲龍圍。
Would you like to live in a quiet village house with a big garden? Yes, I think it would be very peaceful.
你想唔想住喺一間有大花園嘅靜村屋呀?想呀,我覺得會好寧靜。
What would you do if you missed the last train back to the city? I would probably stay at a friend's house or call a taxi.
如果你趕唔到尾班車返市區,你會點做呀?我可能會去朋友屋企住一晚,一係就搭的士。
(Background: Using the principles in this video to generate sentences at different levels of abstraction for translation)