Mui Wo Realia
Cantonese

Mui Wo Realia

by

1. Things you can hold

I have a rusty key for a bicycle lock in my pocket.

我個袋入面有一條生咗鏽嘅單車鎖匙。

Is that a cold bottle of water in your backpack? Yes, it is going to be very hot on the hike.

你個背囊入面係唔係有一支凍水樽呀?係呀,陣間行山會好熱。

What are you carrying in that straw basket? I am carrying some fresh vegetables from the local farm.

嗰個草籃入面有啲咩呀?我拎住啲由本地農場種嘅新鮮蔬菜。

2. Things you can point at

That large, grey water buffalo is sleeping on the beach.

嗰隻灰色嘅大水牛喺沙灘度瞓緊覺。

Is that the fast ferry coming into the pier right now? No, that is the slow boat.

入緊碼頭嗰隻係唔係快船呀?唔係,嗰隻係慢船。

Where is the Silvermine Waterfall? It is a twenty-minute walk up the path from the village.

銀礦瀑布喺邊度呀?由條村行上去要二十分鐘。

3. General actions or events

I am riding my bike past the river.

我踩緊單車經過條河。

Do you hear the sound of the waves hitting the sand? Yes, it is very peaceful today.

你聽唔聽到浪拍落沙灘嘅聲呀?聽到呀,今日好寧靜。

Why are those people wearing hiking boots? Because they are going to walk over the mountain to Pui O.

點解嗰啲人著住行山鞋嘅?因為佢哋準備行山過去貝澳。

4. Things you remember

I remember eating delicious fried squid at the cooked food market last summer.

我記得上年夏天喺熟食中心食過好好味嘅炸魷魚。

Did you stay at the Silvermine Beach Resort when you were a child? Yes, I went there every summer with my parents.

你細個嗰陣有冇住過銀鑛灣渡假酒店呀?有呀,我每年夏天都會同爸爸媽媽去嗰度住。

How did you feel when you saw a water buffalo on the road for the first time? I felt a little bit scared because they are so big!

你第一次喺條街見到水牛嗰陣有咩感覺呀?我有少少驚呀,因為佢哋咁大隻!

5. Things you imagine

I imagine waking up every morning to the sound of birds instead of cars.

我想像每朝瞓醒都係聽到雀仔叫聲,而唔係啲車聲。

Would you like to hike all the way to Tai O from here? No, that would take far too long!

你想唔想由呢度行山去大澳呀?唔好喇,要行好耐喎!

What would you do if you missed the last ferry to Central? I would have to find a small hotel or sleep on the beach.

如果你趕唔到最後班去中環嘅船,你會點做呀?我一係搵間細酒店住,一係喺沙灘瞓。

(Background: Using the principles in this video to generate sentences at different levels of abstraction for translation)

Headline image by bigdodzy on Unsplash

2