Aberdeen Realia
Cantonese

Aberdeen Realia

by

1. Things you can hold

I am holding a small plastic bag with two goldfishes I bought at the market.

我攞住一個細膠袋,入面有兩條我喺街市買嘅金魚。

Is that a pair of wooden chopsticks in your hand for the fish balls? Yes, it is.

你手上面嗰對木筷子,係咪用嚟食魚蛋㗎?係呀。

What is in that heavy box you are carrying? It is full of crushed ice to keep the fish cold.

你拎住嗰個咁重嘅盒,入面裝咩㗎?入面裝滿碎冰,用嚟同啲魚保鮮。

2. Things you can point at

That big, colorful sampan boat is moving across the harbour.

嗰隻又大又五顏六色嘅舢舨,正喺海港度行緊過去。

Is that the bridge that connects Aberdeen to Ap Lei Chau? Yes, many cars drive over it every day.

嗰條橋係咪連接香港仔同鴨脷洲㗎?係呀,日日都有好多車行過。

What is that huge boat in the middle of the harbour? That is a famous floating restaurant.

海港中間嗰隻咁大嘅船係咩嚟㗎?嗰間係一間好出名嘅水上餐廳。

3. General actions or events

I am listening to the loud shouting of the fishermen at the wholesale market.

我喺魚類批發市場聽住啲漁民大聲嗌。

Are you taking the ferry to Lamma Island from the pier? No, I am waiting for the kaito.

你係咪喺碼頭搭渡輪去南丫島㗎?唔係,我等緊街渡啦。

How do the people live on those small houseboats? They have small kitchens and beds inside the cabins.

啲人點樣住喺嗰啲細細隻嘅住家艇度㗎?入面有細廚房,同埋有床喺船艙入面。

4. Things you remember

I remember when there were hundreds more boats in the harbour than there are now.

我記得以前海港入面嘅船,比而家多成幾百隻。

Did you see the dragon boat races here last June? Yes, the atmosphere was very exciting!

舊年六月你有冇喺呢度睇過龍舟比賽呀?有呀,氣氛好熱鬧㗎!

What did you eat for lunch the last time you visited the promenade? I ate a bowl of traditional boat noodles with pork.

你上次嚟海旁嗰陣,午餐食咗乜嘢呀?我食咗一碗傳統豬肉艇仔粉。

5. Things you imagine

I imagine being the captain of a large ship and sailing to the South China Sea.

我幻想自己係一艘大船嘅船長,揸船去南中國海。

Would you like to spend a whole night sleeping on a boat in the harbour? No, I think I would get seasick.

你想唔想成晚喺海港嘅船上面瞓呀?唔想,我諗我會暈船浪。

What would you do if you found a message in a bottle floating near the pier? I would open it to see if there is a secret map inside.

如果你喺碼頭附近見到一個瓶中信,你會點做呀?我會打開嚟睇下入面有冇秘密地圖。

(Background: Using the principles in this video to generate sentences at different levels of abstraction for translation)

Headline image by t3k on Unsplash

3