1. Things a person can hold
1. I have my Octopus card ready to enter the MTR station.
我張八達通準備好入閘喇。
2. Is that a shopping bag from Citygate Outlets? Yes, it is.
嗰個係咪東薈城嘅購物袋嚟㗎?係呀。
3. What is in that small box you are carrying? It is a box of egg tarts from the bakery.
你拎住嗰個細盒入面係咩嚟㗎?係一盒餅店嘅蛋撻嚟。
2. Things a person can point at
1. You can see the Big Buddha from the top of the mountain.
喺山頂可以望到天壇大佛。
2. Is that the cable car moving toward the airport? No, it is going up to Ngong Ping.
嗰架纜車係咪去機場㗎?唔係,係上緊去昂坪。
3. Where is the bus terminus for the airport? It is right over there, near the taxi stand.
去機場嘅巴士總站喺邊呀?喺嗰邊,喺的士站隔籬。
3. Things a person might do
1. Many people hike the Tung Chung Fort trail on the weekend.
好多人週末去行東涌炮台嗰條山徑。
2. Do you often watch the airplanes take off from the airport? Yes, I do.
你係咪成日喺機場睇飛機起飛㗎?係呀,成日睇。
3. How do you usually get to the city centre? I usually take the Tung Chung line.
你平時點去市區㗎?我平時搭東涌綫。
4. Things a person might remember
1. I remember when the wind was very strong during the last typhoon.
我記得上次打風嗰陣,啲風好勁。
2. Did you see the fireworks at the park last New Year? No, I stayed at home.
上個新年你有冇去公園睇煙花呀?冇呀,我留咗喺屋企。
3. When did you move to Tung Chung? I moved here five years ago.
你幾時搬過嚟東涌㗎?我五年前搬過嚟。
5. Things a person might imagine
1. I imagine that Tung Chung will have many more parks in the future.
我諗東涌遲啲會有更多公園。
2. Would you like to live in one of those new tall buildings by the sea? Yes, if it has a nice view.
你想唔想住海邊啲新高樓呀?想呀,如果有靚景嘅話。
3. What would you do if the MTR was closed for a whole day? I would probably take a ferry to Central.
如果港鐵成日都停運嘅話,你會做咩呀?我大概會搭渡輪去中環。
(Background: Using the principles in this video to generate sentences at different levels of abstraction for translation)
Headline image by sugarman_joe on Unsplash