The journey

The journey

language exchanges
productivity

Hi, everyone!

What does fluency actually mean?

The fluency is the most desirable thing that people want to reach, however they don't even realize what it means. Someone would say that fluency is talking as well as a native English speaker, and having this kind of goal will mentally break you down, since I believe that it's impossible to achieve this goal. I'm convinced that everyone who learns any language has the feeling of not being good enough. In my case, I compared myself with those people who were better than me and it's the worst feeling in the world. On the one hand, it motivates a lot to study more. However, on the other hand, it might lead you to even depression at some point. The problem is, I would always tried to be perfect at anything that I've tried my hand at and I can't say that it's a bad habit, but it just doesn't work in learning languages.

I believe I've reached a level of English when I can speak confidently and over the past two months I'd been trying to study every aspect of English, however I had totally forgotten about the bright side of studying languages. I set a goal to become confident in speaking and be able to talk to native speakers, but even though I've reached my target, I still had been more focused on grammar and enriching my vocabulary. Nevertheless, few days ago I was sick of doing these things over and over, since it didn't bring me joy anymore and for that reason that I want to take easy on it and don't put that much effort into it. The thing is that I want to enjoy the process and I think it's the most essential part of studying.

Additionally, I believe it will have a bigger impact if I spend the most part of my studying time in talking to native speakers, since the more you talk especially to native speakers the more you pick up some interesting grammar structures or new vocabulary.

Marco

0