My Norwegian Language Adventure

My Norwegian Language Adventure

education
language learning
language exchanges
culture
family

Hei! Hvordan har du det? Bra, takk.

That's about the extent of my Norwegian-off-the-cuff to humans (I can ask my Norwegian Forest Cat if he wants milk, tell him he's a handsome Forest Cat, etc., etc.). I used to be fluent in German, and after struggling to regain it past a certain point . . . my German 550 prof at ASU didn't really help. Instead of making sure we grasped a good functioning of German at that level, she blasted through the entire textbook in just 7 weeks and made us all use a translation app: Linguee. Don't get me wrong. It's a good app. I didn't want to be app dependent, though. I wanted to be able to read and speak German at the level I used to do.

So I continued to struggle with regaining German after the class was over, past graduation, and into the summer. By the end of August, I had gotten so frustrated, I wanted to throw all my carefully saved, and newly curated, German books out of the window.

I quit.

Then my middle son, the one who's the goalie (haha, I managed to not mention hockey until my second post; a miracle!), who has been struggling with Norwegian on his own for most of 2020, asked if I'd learn it with him. (You may be wondering why I don't speak it to him instead of the cat. He's also a gamer; I'm up hours before he is.)

I'm pretty sure that I don't need to tell anyone here that starting a new language while not even finished with the first semester of another one, is not recommended.

However, after listening to a bit of authentic Norwegian speakers, I realized the tones and cadence weren't that far off from Cherokee.

I thought I'd at least give it a go. After all, in addition to being a direct descendant of two tribal chiefs plus a great-great-Cherokee-grandma, I'm also a direct descendant of Harald Fairhair, first king of Norway. And I grew up far enough back in the Applachian Mountains that I grew up speaking at least half my sentences in Middle English. Could I actually do this?

To my surprise, and delight, I learned more Norwegian in 24 hours than I could remember in German. Granted, over half of it is what I say to my cat every morning, but it might come in useful elsewhere? Maybe?

And, I've actually begun to remember a bit more German. Thankfully, my brain isn't getting them all mixed up, either. Perhaps because a lot of Norwegian is the same as German, or similar? Does anyone else have a perspective on that?

I hope to post my Norwegian Adventure posts in both English and Norwegian, so future ones may be a bit simple, but I'm looking forward to giving myself a 30 minute Norwegian challenge every morning. (My Cherokee posts will be in the evening.)

My first goal I'm going to set for myself is to write a very short 1-2 paragraph story in Norwegian, and the second is going to be to translate it into Cherokee.

We'll see if it works!

Ha det bra!

~Diana

0