The Butterfly Effect

The Butterfly Effect

psychology
philosophy

Let me take you on a hypothetical journey like the one my philosophy professor took us on a while ago:

It's a warm, beautiful day at the resort you came to a few days ago. You act like you’re a normal person, but you aren't. You’re a time traveler who has gone back 100 years to escape the pandemic for a short period of time. You know it's dangerous to travel through time. Anything you do may change the future, so you’re extremely careful not to interact with a lot of people. That's why you decided to take a walk alone near the lake next to the resort to watch the sunset instead of eating with everyone else. But suddenly, you hear someone scream for help. Confused as to whether it's an actual scream for help or just people playing, you search for the place the scream came from. Finally you see a man drowning near a jetty. You know it's forbidden for you as a time traveler to change somebody's fate. You know about the risk. Now decide for yourself: Would you help? Let's say your answer is yes:

You hesitate a few seconds, but after another scream, you start to run. You want to help. You have to help. It's not a long way, but it feels like kilometers until you reach him. Your adrenaline finally kicks in. Luckily you’re a great swimmer because the man wasn't able to stay afloat anymore. So you have to jump into the water yourself and start looking for him. Every second feels like an hour. Where is he? Your heart is beating so fast you don't even notice how cold the water is. The only thing that matters at this moment is saving this man's life. Again and again, you dive down to look for him. And then you feel something. Clothes! You grab them and pull the man up with all your might. He coughs out some water and is breathing, but he's unconscious. What a relief! The weight of your soaked clothes makes it hard to stay afloat, so you tread water really hard until you notice the ladder on the jetty nearby. As soon as you reach it, you're able to take a closer look at the man and the blood freezes in your veins. It's Adolf Hitler.

So what would you do? Keep in mind that your actions will have a butterfly effect. Would you still save him? Maybe he'll change because of you and your act of kindness. Or would you let him drown? It's still 1920, so nobody but you knows that this man is probably the most inhumane person that ever existed and how many evil things he will do, causing uncountable people in the future unbearable and unforgettable pain.

If you feel a bit overwhelmed by the question and the story, be reassured by the fact that we felt the same way. Some students even got angry at the professor. But that was her intention all along. That’s exactly how these thought experiments are meant to feel. They engage us in hypothetical situations and force us to play “what if” and determine whether an action is morally right or wrong acccording to our own moral compass. It tests and challenges our ethical principles to allow us to be prepared when we're faced with a moral dilemma in the real world.

Have you ever thought about the Butterfly Effect regarding your own life decisions?

0