My Short Trip to Ueda: Part 5 Wind Cave

My Short Trip to Ueda: Part 5 Wind Cave

travel
history

After checking out of our guesthouse, we all headed to the Wind Cave. It was me, again, who suggested visiting there, after seeing a tiny photo and a brief description in a brochure for Bessho-Onsen, according to which it's an artificial rectangular cave with stacked stones, and the inside is chilly even in summer.

We drove two large vans along a tight, winding road. I was so scared that I regretted recommending we go there in the first place. The youngest child in our van complained "Is it worth going through all this?" I completely agreed with him, but I remained silent and held my breath.

Finally, we arrived at the entrance to the mountain path and began climbing on foot. It was cooler than the lowlands, but still around 30°C (86°F). A small shrine was about a fifteen-minute walk uphill. After that, it was a five-minute walk to the Wind Cave!

Not two steps into it, I couldn't help but exclaim, "Wow! it's really cold!" Everyone, both young and old, was surprised and excited. The wind blowing through the gaps between the stones is said to be 5°C (41°F). The wind was a bit humid and much colder than the air conditioner, but very comfortable and pleasant.

Some of the children weren't physically strong, so a twenty-minute hike up the mountain was a big deal for them. We were proud of the Hitonoma children.

I didn't get to the Wind Cave's history today, so there'll be a part 6 to this series.

5