How Dreams Die

How Dreams Die

language learning
intercultural communication

When two of my friends — who happen to be twins — decided to move to Sweden, I asked one of them:

"Do you know Swedish?"

"No, I don't," he replied. "My bro's learning it."

"Are you going to learn it?"

"There's no need. Everybody knows English there."

"Even the cashiers in grocery stores?"

"Even the cashiers."

I asked them about it again two years later. One of the twins is actively learning the language and using it at work, and the other one isn't — English is enough for him in both his professional career and personal relationships.

There are countries where English is so widespread that you can't help but wonder if there's any point in learning their language. If you plan to move there, then there probably is. You'd want to integrate into their society as well as possible. But what if you just plan to visit as a tourist?

I've heard lots of stories online about people trying to practice their language with locals, but they shut them off by replying in English. Some people might rudely say that they don't understand you. I've heard that about Germans, for example — they'd just refuse to speak German with you. And it makes sense for them — their English is probably better than your German. But imagine the disappointment! You spend years learning the language, expecting a fulfilling experience from having a casual chat — and then you hit a brick wall.

On the other hand, if you go to a country where English isn't so widespread, you might encounter another problem; people there have so little opportunity to practice their English that they'll jump at any chance to use it. It would suck to spend the money to travel somewhere with the goal of speaking with the locals in their native language in mind, only to find yourself speaking English with everyone. But at the end of the day, they're not obligated to be your free language tutors, but neither are you!

Depending on the country, native speakers tend to react to people learning their language differently. The Japanese consider their language very hard, and rightfully so — they'll say, "Your Japanese is so good!" as soon as you say "konnichiwa" even with a broken accent. The French love their language and don't want to hear you butcher it. Russians will be surprised and confused. They'll ask you, "Why? Why did you decide to learn Russian of all things?" Of course, all of the above are just stereotypes, and you might have a different experience, but I don't think stereotypes come out of nowhere.

If you're choosing a language with the goal of having conversations with native speakers, those are the things you should really consider. Would you really have the opportunity to use the language you chose to learn? Otherwise, you'll be wasting a lot of time only to meet with a world of disappointment.

===================

I shared this post with my friend — the one who isn't learning Swedish, to check if my memory didn't deceive me and if anything changed since the last time we discussed that. Here's what he has to add.

About his life without Swedish:

Well, I can’t watch movies in a theater without knowing the local language :) But in general, it's true

So, are you learning the language now? Or do you just not go to the movies?

I go only to movies which are originally in English. But there could be problems anyway. For example in Dune 2, when they speak the “local” language, the subtitles are in Swedish, so I had to ask my Swedish friend to translate those parts for me 😄

About my post:

It’s true. In Sweden, there's a joke: the hardest part of learning Swedish is finding someone who's willing to talk to you in Swedish. As soon as Swedes hear you aren't fluent, they don't want you to feel uncomfortable and switch to English immediately.

Headline image by qwitka on Unsplash

7