Going Back to Brescia

Going Back to Brescia

travel
business
art

A couple of days ago, I received an email from my Italian porcelain painting teacher. She was asking me if I was interested in attending an art show she hosts in Brescia, Italy.

I am a china painter and had been learning Western techniques from my Italian teacher after I finished learning in the States. Before the pandemic, I used to visit Brescia to stay at her apartment regularly. I first met my teacher at a porcelain show in Thailand and instantly felt in love her art. Since I really wanted to learn from her, I asked her if I could learn from her. However, she told me that she didn't speak English. Even so, I didn't want to give it up and I stayed in touch with her via Facebook. A couple years later, her daughter who speaks English well sent me an e-mail. She would become my interpreter, and I could go to Italy for lessons. Since then, once a year I went to Italy to learn from her. My teacher and her family spoiled me a lot and took me lots of places after lessons. While learning, I made some friends with her students. Although none of them are good at speaking English, and I can't hold conversational Italian, we share a passion for porcelain painting . Somehow, we understand each other.

When the pandemic happened, I was really sad because I had to stick in Japan. During the pandemic, I explored new interests like cooking, baking, gardening and so on. While I occasionally think of my American friends or Italian friends, I haven't felt a strong desire to go abroad.

However, when my teacher invited me to her art show and requested a demonstration of Japanese techniques, I couldn't resist.

I contacted my teacher me probably going back. I am thrilled to meet her and my friends in Italy again. While writing this journal entry, I recognized that how much I have missed Italy.

The photo I shared is me with my teacher and my friends in Italy a couple years ago.

(4595)

6