Mrs. Thurlow's Riddles 11

Mrs. Thurlow's Riddles 11

fiction

11

The beggar strode away from the bishop with determination and sat down on the piano bench. After cracking his knuckles, he unbuttoned his vest, tousled/disheveled his hair, took a deep breath, and with a dramatic gesture, placed his hands on the keyboard.

Meanwhile, the bishop returned to his seat at the table, pleased to see everyone looking excited, anticipating the music. There was a complete silence, and Amadeus began to play a beautiful, gentle piece. The guests exchanged looks of amazement and continued to listen with delight, giving him a well-deserved round of applause at the end. Amadeus bowed a few times and began to play another piece.

“This man is full of surprises,” the bishop remarked.

“No doubt about it. Looking at him, no one would’ve guessed he was such a talented pianist...” said the singer.

“And look how his hands fly all over the keyboard!” Mrs. Thurlow added.

Little by little, they all joined in the conversation, leaving the music as background noise, which the musician (and also magician) didn't take well. But the others didn’t notice and gradually increased the volume.

“Lady Thurlow, remember you haven't revealed the answer to the riddle yet,” the senator reminded.

“Sure, Senator. I think it's time to go back to where we left off. Where were we?”

Amadeus felt ignored. His performance was being overshadowed/eclipsed by chatterboxes unable to appreciate his music.

Determined to draw their attention, he changed the tune and stroke the keys harder. However, no one paid attention until he broke into the converstion by belting out Caruso at the top of his lungs.

“Teee vooooglio a beeene aaassaii...

ma taaanto taaanto beeene aaassai..”

“Wow, what was that?” the writer asked, turning to the piano.

“Seems the magician-musician is also a singician…” the senator replied mockingly.

“Is he singing in Italian?” asked Mrs. Thurlow.

“È unaaa cateeena ormaiii...·

Che scioglie il sangue diiinte veeene, saiii...”

No, it sounds more like an European language, like Turkish,” the bishop replied.

(To be continued)

5