Mrs. Thurlow's Riddles 10

Mrs. Thurlow's Riddles 10

fiction

10

“Okay, that’s great, but let's just focus on the other stuff..." the bishop replied uneasily.

The beggar looked as if he had never hurt a fly. “What other stuff?” he asked, confused, ”You mean the stuff that happened after the first thing? Or the thing I had when you caught me doing my thing?”

“Amadeus, I mean the thing you do with your thingies,” the bishop said with a straight face.

“Ah, my thingies! But I don't have the whole shibang with me... I'd need a little table, my top hat and Rufus, the rabbit. Although the guy's gotten so chubby lately that he doesn't fit into the top hat anymore,” he said with a chuckle.

The bishop's patience was wearing thin. The magician (and musician) had shown up unexpectedly and spoiled the fun. But seeing the bishop's struggle, Mrs. Thurlow came to the rescue.

"Amadeus, did you say you were a musician?” she asked.

"Yes ma'am, and a magician too," replied the beggar, holding his hat with both hands. The bishop rolled his eyes.

“Can you play the piano?”

“Yes, even with my eyes closed if I had to!” the beggar boasted.

“So please, play something nice!” she urged.

"But Mrs. Thurlow, what about the riddle?" complained the senator.

"One thing at a time, Senator. We have bigger fish to fry now," she said, as she fanned herself.

Amadeus quickly walked away from the bishop and sat down at the piano.

7