A Quadrennial Birthday for One of the Most Underrated Musicians

music

Sasaguchi So-On is one of the most underrated musicians in Japan, in my opinion. Yesterday was his quadrennial birthday (he's a leap year baby and turned 40!) and I went to his concert in Tokyo. It was fantastic, as is usual for him. My son is also a big fan and went with me. My son said, "Sasaguchi So-On cracks me up. I couldn't stop laughing. I was literally in tears! And I realized I was also deeply moved." I thought that was so well-put.

His songs are great, his melodies are heaven, his voice is one of a kind, and his guitar playing is literally incredible, but there were only about 30 people in the audience. I've been a fan of his for over ten years, believing he's due for a breakthrough.

Anyway, his performance of "Born on a Leap Year" made me extremely happy. He played this song on an electric guitar at a slow tempo yesterday, and he played it solo. The other songs were performed with the amazing bands he leads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhENj5m2FaM

I think most of his songs are too difficult for me to play, but I've decided to try some of them.

8