Isolation

Isolation

Last year, I read a philosophy book. It said that most of our problems come from relationships. This idea blew my mind and I decided to abandon a lot of relationships that I thought unnecessary. I reduced my hangouts with friends, just stayed in touch with some close friends, and didn’t meet new friends. I built walls, burnt bridges, and lived in my world.

At first, I felt safe and comfortable in this world. People rarely hurt me (because they even don’t have a chance to talk or interact with me). Additionally, dedicating less time to socializing freed up more hours for work and study, significantly boosting my productivity. Moreover, it allowed for more quality time with family and close friends.

However, this year, I started to feel a little bit lonely sometimes. I have some mental health problems such as sleep disorder, anxiety disorder, and depression. While I can't say socialization directly impacted my mental state, it likely contributed. However, I realized that I feel super nervous when I talk with people, especially strangers. I used to be good at talking and making friends. But if you don’t use it, you will lose it, and I don’t want to lose this skill. These experiences made me question whether I'm truly suited to a life of isolation.

Starting last month, I began expanding my social circle, reconnecting with old friends and making new ones. Surprisingly, most of the people I met have been incredibly kind. They've shared numerous interesting perspectives, knowledge, and life experiences, adding vibrancy to my life.

I've come to believe that life isn't just black or white. It's not about being a social butterfly with countless friends or living in complete isolation. Sometimes it’s about finding a point in the middle. Nurturing close relationships, forging new connections, and learning to handle difficult individuals without letting them affect my mood.

1