My Favorite YouTuber

My Favorite YouTuber

recommendations

Some of my current interests include productivity, self development, language, culture, and creative expression. Do you have similar interests? If so, then let me introduce you to a YouTube channel that features all of these topics and more, while still maintaining a sense of cohesion across the channel. This is the eponymous channel of Ruri Ohama.

Ruri Ohama is rather unique as far as YouTubers go. Since July of last year, her videos have mainly covered self development, productivity, and entrepreneurship. A native Japanese speaker, she finds much inspiration for videos from Japanese-language self help books such as The Three Happiness by Kabasawa Shion. In this interview with Creators on Air, Ruri explained a few of the differences between Japanese-style YouTube and Western-style YouTube. Her proficiency in Japanese has helped her consistently provide unique value to her viewers, many of whom are international and don't speak Japanese.

While constantly pushing herself for improvement, Ruri also knows how to be easygoing and show some of her personality on camera. She's a foodie, so she's made plenty of vlogs of yummy Japanese food. She's dedicated to providing value to her viewers, so the personal stories that she shares are not only entertaining but inspiring. A language and culture enthusiast, Ruri grew up in Turkey and speaks Turkish and Japanese natively. She also speaks English and German fluently and has traveled to multiple countries in Europe and Asia.

Her current channel, Ruri Ohama, is her fifth channel on YouTube. She has reached an impressive 1.23 million subscribers. I think her channel appeals to different people for different reasons. For me, I specifically enjoy learning about her personal anecdotes and her infectious drive to bring value to others through her work.

Headline image by jakobowens1 on Unsplash

4