The river, the Sanctuary and the cooking

food
architecture
adventure
culture
history

I live on the 3rd floor and today I can see the "Reno" River from my windows. (I'm not referring to the Middle Europe "Rhine" River - in Italian called "Reno" as well, but to the smaller one located in the Emilia-Romagna region, Italy).

Usually I can't see it because of its lower and safer level, but today it has risen to a startling level.

This is due to the abundant rains and to the melting of snow or ice that can cause the river to flood.

Along the river banks there are two levees (or maybe it's better to call them "embankments"?) built to protect the river from floodings.

So I'm not really worried about a flood.

I was told that, in the case of flooding, the water would flow away from my village (it could still be dangerous depending on the strength of the water) towards other neighbouring villages which are below sea level.

It is said that our village's ground level corresponds to the top of the church's bell tower of one of our neighbouring villages.

I'm emotionally attached to the levees because I enjoy walking on them when the weather is clear and dry (eccept for the hottest hours in the summer).

From up there I can see all the countryside, the first Appenino's hills and our city landmark: the St. Luca Sanctuary.

The latter is the symbol of my city, along with the "two towers", the long covered walkways and the world's famous recipes (the "Bolognese sauce", the "Tortellini", the "lasagna" and other specialties).

Speaking about covered walkways, I want to highlight that the covered walkway that starts from the centre of Bologna and climbs up to the St. Luca Sanctuary Hill is the longest of the world (nearly 4000 meters) with its 666 arches and just as many steps.

As climbing to the top is a very tough exercise and the view from up there is worthy, many of my fellow citizens and tourists as well climb the staircase for different reasons, depending on their physical shape and their religious faith.

So along this path you can see:

- on a daily basis athletes and runners for their routine exercise

- on a weekly basis people who want to keep fit after work

- students and young people hanging out, maybe skipping school

- tourists visiting the Sanctuary for its architecture, for the viewpoint or for religious reasons

- mostly on Sunday morning pious people on pilgrimage towards the Santuary and its Holy Virgin Mary

- victims of a sort of urban legend: they climb the hill to ask for grace or to thank God (or life in general) for the grace received or to thank themselves for having been strong or consistent enough to overcome a difficult proof.

For example after a recovery, an exam or a graduation.

Personally I've climbed the hill only 5 times in my life: the first I was a child and I joined the religious procession, the second was for fitness, the third was with the hidden purpose to ask myself for the strength to dump my former boyfriend as the relationship was already over (which I did afterwards), the fourth was after having paid off my mortgage, the fifth was last summer: I asked for strength, I enjoyed the spiritual time with myself, I enjoyed the visit of the Sanctuary and the view like a tourist and I sweated buckets!

It might sound silly, but who of us doesn't have at least one superstition? I think it's pretty cute because it's linked to my home city and it's at least a good excuse for doing exercise!

I'd like to tell another old superstition linked to St. Luca Sanctuary (or is it scientifically proven?).

It is said that, when the valley between St. Luca Sanctuary Hill and the next hill is very cloudy, all the city of Bologna is under the rain.

This valley is dubbed in the local dialect "bus dla Iacma", sort of "Hole with in middle the Street towards the Sanctuary of Santiago de Compostela" (Iacma stands for James the Great, the saint of Spain whose remains are allegedly held in Santiago).

The legend has its origin in the Middle Ages, when the pilgrims traveled this ancient street in the middle of Appennini Hills and Mountains at the beginning of their journey to the Santiago de Compostela Sanctuary. Maybe the weathermen at the time used to warn them about the bad weather when that valley was cloudy.

It's a legend known by very few people!

0