Tenses and Conditionals Practice 1.

Tenses and Conditionals Practice 1.

In this post, I'm going to practise some tenses and conditionals, in an effort to work out the logic behind their use.

When I was a teenager, I read a lot of fiction and detective stories. — a repeated action or a habit at a definite time in the past. At that time, I didn't have a lot of money, so instead of buying books, I visited the library.— a state at a definite time in the past

Yesterday, I went to see my friend at his house near a lake, and we chatted about the weather and drank coffee. After we finished our coffees, we went for a walk with his dog. Then we visited a local bakery and bought some lemon cakes. — all these things happened one after the other and at the same time. finished time word. As we ate the cakes, we enjoyed the sunny weather and a warm breeze. both things happened at the same time.

Now I’m writing this post. My yoga class starts in an hour, so I’m planning to go there later. I’m going to call my boyfriend when I get home from yoga, so we can meet for lunch. If I leave home now, I’ll be able to make it to yoga class right on time.— future in subordinate clauses with a time expression. 1 conditional There are some things that I do every day, like brushing my teeth, studying English, and walking in the forest. I also read and listen to English every day. — present regular habits My city is located in the mountains. Every day, I see the mountains from my house, which is located near a river and a forest. I see them every day. — a permanent situation On weekends, I usually walk to the nearby café and chat with my friend. — a regular action

A couple of weeks ago, a funny thing happened. So, I go out for a walk, buy coffee as I always do, and I'm walking along the river, enjoying the sunny weather. Suddenly I see a dog that I like so much and that I haven’t seen for a couple of months. It sees me also and starts barking, greeting me and wagging its tail. Then I see a a local vet, who tells me that he had put this dog in a shelter, but then took it out because of bad conditions. We were really happy to see each other again, this dog and I. — historic present and verb “tell” to make what I’m saying more exciting and vivid. 

This morning I walked in the park. There, I talked with one of my neighbours and watched some dogs play. I think that even if I could leave this place now, I wouldn’t do it because I enjoy living here a lot. If it wasn’t so windy in the winter, I could call this city the best place to live. —2 conditional. This evening I made mushrooms with mashed potatoes. I wish I knew how to cook better since, once again, my cooking skills left a lot to be desired.. - wish I think it’s finally time that I admitted my lack of culinary talent. ‘it’s time’ + past simple to talk about the present.  I wish I were a great cook, but I’m not. formal “were”.

Headline image by areksan on Unsplash

2