Philosophy of Chess

Philosophy of Chess

creativity
hobbies
board games

It was long time ago when I played my first chess game. In the beginning it was just an orndinary game for me. When they asked I used to say " I don't really like playing, but I love winning." With the time I fell in love with chess. I was glad that someone has invent this game. I tried to discover and learn more about it.

You have to 'Checkmate ' your opponent for winning the game. In Turkish we say 'Şah Mat' .I heard about the etymology of this word. In persian Shah means 'the king' , also in arabic Mawt means 'dead'. So when we combine those words 'the king is dead' makes sense. I wonder if it is a coincidence that "Checkmate" and "Shahmawt" kinda sounds similiar.

It is a game that always considered related with the strategy, the game of battle. According to some myths most of the big commanders in the history was playing chess and they were good at it. Even they mention some chess games between Ottoman Sultan Selim and The persian king Shah ismail. Before the Battle of Chaldiran which was between them, they checked each other.

In real life situations people always say "he is just a pawn" to indicate there is someone behind that person who planned everything and used him as a pawn. As you might know in chess pawn is a rather unimportant piece. People again sometimes say "Be careful and see if you are being a pawn or you are being the king, don't let anyone to use you, İt is in you hand to choose." Yet there is some people standing out of the board and they even use the king :)

Some people love creating some smilarities between chess and real life. They count lots of benefits of playing chess and probably most of them are true. Yet there is a big difference. In chess your aim is to just checkmate the opponent. It doesn't matter if you sacrifice your pieces you should take care of your king whatever it costs.

If you realize a checkmate sequence you can easily sacrifice your "Queen." In real life do you mind winning If you lose your queen?

Thanks for your time that you spent for reading and correcting me.

Have a good time..

Ömer

5