An experience I'll never forget

An experience I'll never forget

literature
horror
Hi everyone! This is a composition I wrote to practice for a university entrance exam. Your comments, corrections or anything you'd like to say about it will be very much appreciated!! :)) English is not my first language so if you know how to say something in a more natural way instead of what I wrote please let me know. Thanks in advance!

It occurred during our holidays at my grandmother’s house in Bolivia. I was ready to sleep; the lights were turned off and I was already under the sheets. The only thing that I found slightly distracting was the fact that my grandmother's voice could be heard across the room, but since I know that she sometimes talks in her sleep, I decided to shrug it off and try to doze off.

A few minutes had passed, my grandmother was no longer speaking and everything was still and quiet, but interestingly enough, I simply could not fall asleep. I stared at the dark ceiling for a while until I felt something get on the bed and slowly curl up. It felt like an extremely big animal, like a tiger or a lion. That’s what I thought at that moment, but I wasn’t certain. I didn't dare sit up to see for myself. What if it was a demon? I couldn’t possibly know. I only managed to pull the covers over my head. Moreover, there were other blankets folded and piled up on the bed, and the creature was in one of the farthest corners from my feet, so even if I hadn't covered myself, I would have barely been able to make it out from my position.

The situation didn’t make any sense, but it was frightening at the same time, so I just lay there, trying to cope with my anxiety. After what felt like a long hour, I decided to finally get out of the bed, and there didn't seem to be anything on it but blankets. Although the lights were still turned off and I didn’t have my glasses, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but I still left the room nervously. My mind was probably just playing tricks on me, but I still wonder to this day what it could have been because it felt so real.

4