Otsaliheliga We Are Grateful First Translation Attempt

culture
intercultural communication
multilingual book club 04

Hopefully I can get the photo of the book to upload in the banner here. If not, I'll put a link to a resource for the photo, down below.

I've found that the phrases used in this book, while technically for children, are linguistically rather complex for translating into Cherokee. . . like I would need to be a native speaker or at least a B2 level speaker, which I am not.

I'm not going to give up, though. My next step is to see if I can simplify/summarize those phrases into something that is at my level. The complexity will be lost, but I think it will be a good exercise for me.

In the meantime, for this week, I have taken the phonetic names of the seasons (used in this book) and translated them into syllabary. I hope I can copy and paste them in here, from where I've texted them to myself, as I still haven't gotten the Cherokee keyboard up and going on my Mac. (I forgot we had a Kraken game to go to this weekend; my two youngest sons' Christmas present. We beat Edmonton 4-3, so it was a fun night all around . . . unless you're Edmonton, lol.)

Anyway, back to Cherokee:

Fall is uligohvsdi. Pronounced: oo-lee-go-huh-s-dee. In syllabary, it's ᎤᎵᎪᎲᏍᏗ.

Winter is gola. Pronounced: go-lah. In syllabary, it's ᎪᎳ.

Spring is gogeyi. Pronounced: go-gey-yee. In syllabary, it's ᎪᎨᏱ.

And summer is gogi. Pronounced: go-gee. In syllabary, it's ᎪᎩ.

Traditionally, the New Year starts with the Fall harvest, because you always eat and rest before starting out on a long journey . . . which is what the upcoming new year is. . . so that explains why the word for Fall is so different from the words for the other seasons.

By next week, I hope to at least have the section on Fall translated to a very simplified explanation (from what's in the book). Fingers crossed, maybe I'll have the syllabary keyboard for my computer figured out, also!

There's no word for goodbye in Cherokee. It's "until later." Donadagohvi (doe-nah-dah-go-huh-ee): ᏙᎾᏓᎪᎲᎢ.

Here's a link so you can see the front of the book. (I'm not getting anything when I click 'upload' after selecting the photo, not even an error message like I got at first.) What you can't see in this link, but could see in the photo I took of my copy, is that the words are raised and textured, so it also appeals to those with kinesthetic learning styles. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/566582/we-are-grateful-otsaliheliga-by-traci-sorell-author-frane-lessac-illustrator/

1