Statistical Discrimination

Statistical Discrimination

science
psychology
philosophy
politics

In this post, we talk about a sensitive and controversial topic, so it's not for someone who can be easily offended.

This topic seems to be highly controversial thing. Let me know your thought in the comment.

OK. Let us begin with defining what is statistical discrimination. It is a behavior in which seemingly rational and non-prejudiced analysis make discriminatory results. (I'm not an expert, so look up other definition or explanation if you want more detailed and accurate definition.) For instance, in Japan, there was a scandal of medical schools which they secretively lowered women's and older people's scores because such people, they said, are less likely to be doctors in the future. Many med school are meant to be institutions which produce doctors to help human lives, so they want to admit students who would be doctors is natural, and statistically such figures are shown is true. However, this intention turn out to be a discrimination.

It is a clear example of discrimination, but how about this? A lot of companies requires applicant to have college degrees although there are so many people who have more than enough knowledge without degrees. Isn't it a discrimination because capability of going to colleges is highly affected by their domestic income. Therefore, they may be judging people not by their ability but where they are born. Are they discriminating?

What do you think? This is just a tip of iceberg. There are a lot more interesting and more profound case. If you like this post, please let me know by clicking the button below or dropping comments. Thank you for reading.

See you.

2