About Readability

About Readability

multilingual book club 02

What makes a text easy to read?

When I bought my book for the second book club, the information in the online-shop said: “Lexile-Bewertung 740L”. Since I had never heard the word “Lexile” before, I googled it.

I found that in Wikipedia: “The Lexile Framework for Reading is an educational tool that uses a measure called a Lexile to match readers with books, articles and other levelled reading resources. Readers and books are assigned a score on the Lexile scale, in which lower scores reflect easier readability for books and lower reading ability for readers.”

In the article they say they measure the difficulty of a text by sentence length and word frequency, but I'm not quite sure what they mean by “word frequency” and I couldn't find a proper formula for calculating this Lexile value.

While thinking about Lexile, I remembered that in Wordpress my SEO-Plugin always tells me whether it finds my texts easy enough to read. I had never checked what the calculation is based on. So I looked that up and found out that they use something called Flesch-Reading-Ease.

For the Flesch-Reading-Ease they check the ASL (Average Sentence Length) and the ASW (Average Syllables per Word) and then the value is calculated with the following formula.

FRE (for English) = 206.835 – (1.015*ASL) – (84.6 * ASW)

FRE (for German)= 180 – ASL – (58.5 * ASW)

The higher the FRE is, the easier the text is to understand. Texts that are easy to read have a value of about 60 – 70.

I tested this text online and got a value of 64, which means it's a fairly average text in terms of readability.

8