Repeat It or Forget It: My Vocab Rule

Repeat It or Forget It: My Vocab Rule

language learning

Learning a foreign language is always connected with acquiring new vocabulary. Lots of vocabulary... It is known, things can be easily forgotten without repetition. We know it, but how deeply we realize it?

This post was inspired both by my own experience and also by one exciting video by Robin MacPherson. It was about how to remember vocabulary we're studying. An amazing polyglot pointed out on one research, where people can remember better marked vocabulary in a list.

To be honest, I practice something similar described in the video trying to remember new phrase or word. This video proved the approach I use and inspire me to write about it and share some information with language-learning community.

So, there is my method of memorizing new vocabulary.

Step 1. Do it by the way. Try to remember vocab. you're learning while walking or doing some household chores during a day. Do it without tension, just thinking like "Let's see, if I remember this phrase or how it will be to say that way?

Step 2. Make a story. It's really helpful to organize vocabulary you learn in a short story. That's why I try to get vocab. in a context, not just individual words.

Step 3. Check up on your vocab. Usually I don't have possibility to look up in my notes and find out if I recall everying right. But the reaquest itself makes this phrase remember better after the repeatition in the long run. It works even if I can't recall a phrase from the first attempt.

Step 4. Repeat it once more and record yourself. The best way to work on your speaking skills is recording yourself. I enjoy making video, practicing my speaking in Englihs. Usually, in the evenings I repeat all my phrases, I'm working on and record a short video using them, creating my own stories and real life situations.

Working this way on a regular basis, makes memorizing new vocabulary easier day by day. I can remember how I've learned a word "mould" in a phrase "fit (into) a mould" = be like other things of the same type. I failed to remember it from the first time. I've recorded myself a few times, changing a pattern like "She doesn't fit the mould of the stereotypical mother" for the different situations. As I result I recognized this word (perhaps maybe in other meaning) in The Shadow of the Wind by Carloz Ruiz Zafon and also I heard it in a flow of speech in a native English podcast. Now I have this phrase on a tip of my tongue and that is owe to a magical power of repetition.

1