My experience writing a diary

My experience writing a diary

reading
lifestyle
habits
hobbies

Last year I started to do many new things. For example: read more books and articles, practice English frequently, eat better and write a diary. I had heard over and over that writing a diary is really good. So one day I just took a small notebook that I had on my desk and I started to write about my life at that moment. Even thought, or maybe because of, 2020 was a quite year I could write about deep reflections and thoughts, ideas, goals, my feelings when I was depressed, confused, overwhelmed, sad and happy. I was allowed to write about everything.

But it wasn't until reading "Lo que fue presente" by Hector Abad, a diary of one of my favorites writers, that I understood more about how we can write a diary. Many people think that writing a diary is unuseful because you are writing every day about what things or tasks you did. From my point of view that is a huge mistake or confusion. For example Hector even didn't write every day on his diary. Some days you don't want to, maybe because you're busy, happy or other reasons. But I found that I write something when I'm in a bad mood or maybe I feel confused, and I need to think clearly. Other times I write when I have something important to say about an event that happened during the day or maybe an idea or project that I would like to do in the future and I don't want to forget it. Something particular that I wanted to do with my diary was writing a dream at the end of each writing. It could be something like "enjoy every moment" or "walk in the Great Wall of China".

Beyond writing about your life I think writing about what you're thinking helps you to find answers, sometimes, or more doubts other times. Also I realize that writing your thoughts gives you more capability to organize ideas and maybe find patterns inside yourself. I enjoy reading one random day in my diary, sometimes I found that I was overthinking a lot about unimportant things and now I can understand a little more and learn about myself.

3