Wazup, dude? or Discord to learn English

language exchanges

I must confess that I wasted some hours to try out several English learner communities on discord and, so far, I cannot say that it suits me. I was expecting channels with people interacting in English about a given topic of interest with kind feedback and encouragements. And why not channels in other languages to help people willing to improve their French for example (unfortunately the only language in which I can be of any help). Instead, I have been suprised to discover posts with so many 1 or 2-letter words like u, dm, ... In the best case, I have been welcome with a "Wazup, dude?". Well, I must make a second confession: I'm not really interested in slang, informal or heavily-idiomatic English. My usage of English is mainly for reading newspapers, listening to podcasts and dicsussing with non native English speakers and most of the time in a professional context. I know that there are at least two levels of language in any language, the one you learn at school and you use at work and the other one. But, In the discord communities I connected to, I think another issue is the age of the learners. I think most of the people there are between 10 and 20 years old. Our eldest daughter is 14 years old and I hope she is learning annother English than the one I saw there. I had the feeling to be an old dog not at the right place and I disconnected discretely. Am I wrong? But if you have a good community to recommend, I would be happy to give annother try to this practice.

1