Reclaiming the Language of My Mother's People

language exchanges
linguistics
culture

Osiyo! That's how you say 'hello' in Cherokee/Tsalagi. I see a challenge here, right off, because Cherokee is a syllabary, like Mandarin. I'll have to figure out how to get my Cherokee keyboard to work on websites, if I want to add the proper syllabary in, too.

My Cherokee learning journey began last July (2020). As of today, I've completed Cherokee 1 & 2; Cherokee 3 doesn't start until the end of March because the government gave them all three months off with pay, since most are elderly.

That said, can I speak it without looking it up? Very little. And it's not because I don't have any other learners to interact with here. We have a community webinar every Friday for an hour, with separate assignments during the week (different from the official online course out of Talequah).

I am syllabary deficient. I had to spend three times the amount of time on the IPA during my linguistics course for my TESOL degree, than the other students. I'm a visual learner, and I need to see all the letters to pronounce it distinctly, having had enunciation drilled into my head by my Cherokee grandma.

I'll probably make some Cherokee language posts, written out like I did with 'hello' . . . which is three syllabary characters when properly written, by the way. /s/ is always it's own separate thing. /v/ makes the 'uh' sound, like from your gut. (Conversely, in Mvskoke---the language of my father's people---the /v/ makes a long /a/ sound usually but can sometimes make the /u/ sound; there is no rhyme and reason to that, it's just that sometimes you can't get an authentic long /a/ sound next to, or after, some consonants.)

Why am I going to do this, when Cherokee isn't listed on here, and there may not be anyone else learning it here? It's good practice for me, for starters, just to write in out in another location than my notebooks. It should give me an extra 15 minutes per day thinking in Cherokee, which may not be much, but Rome wasn't built in a day. . . and anyone else learning a language that is considered endangered might be interested in hearing my experiences, even if they aren't learning it.

There is no word for 'goodbye,' in any Native American languages, as far as I'm aware. It's always "see you again/next time," which is what auf Wiedersehen means in German, too.

Donadagohvi (doe-nah-dah-go-huh-ee)--see you next time,

Diana

0