Writing practice 8

Writing practice 8

language learning

OMG... the revison is completely different from an original one.. 😭

Writing task:

In many parts of the world, traffic congestion is a major problem in urban areas. Some people believe that the best way to reduce traffic congestion is to provide free public transportation.

To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Answer:

Urbanization often leads to various challenges, with traffic congestion being one of the most significant. As urban centers become more densely populated, traffic jams during peak hours have become a daily occurrence. This issue arises primarily because most services, businesses, and government functions are concentrated in the heart of cities, attracting large numbers of people who need to commute for work, shopping, and other activities. In a fast-paced society where tasks must be completed efficiently, urban areas have naturally evolved into hubs where diverse activities, from administrative duties to financial transactions, are concentrated. The ease of access provided by well-developed transportation infrastructure further contributes to the congestion, making it a predictable issue in urbanized areas.

One proposed solution is to offer free public transportation services to encourage people to use buses and subways instead of driving their cars, thereby reducing the number of vehicles in congested city centers. A successful example of this is Melbourne, Australia, where the introduction of a free tram zone in the city center has led to a noticeable decrease in traffic congestion. The policy not only provided financial benefits to residents by saving them money on transportation but also helped reduce the number of cars on the road, leading to smoother traffic flow in the city's most crowded areas.

However, some critics argue that such measures may not be as effective as hoped due to the financial burden they place on public transportation systems, which often operate at a deficit. Instead, they suggest that upgrading outdated traffic signal systems could be a more cost-effective and efficient solution. Traditional traffic signals operate on fixed schedules, without considering real-time traffic conditions, which can exacerbate congestion. Advances in technology, such as the Internet of Things (IoT), offer a way to manage traffic more dynamically. For instance, South Korea has introduced traffic poles equipped with sensors, cameras, and real-time data processing capabilities. These systems can adjust traffic lights based on current conditions, significantly improving traffic flow and reducing congestion at key intersections.

While some governments have attempted to address urban congestion by promoting decentralized development, moving essential services and businesses out of city centers is not always feasible due to the high costs involved. Therefore, a combination of solutions may be necessary. Melbourne's experience shows that free public transportation can effectively reduce traffic, while modernizing traffic management systems can further enhance these efforts. Both approaches offer the additional benefit of reducing air pollution, making cities not only less congested but also healthier places to live.

In conclusion, while traffic congestion in urban areas is a complex problem, it can be mitigated through a mix of strategies, including free public transportation and advanced traffic management systems. These solutions should be carefully tailored to each city's unique circumstances to maximize efficiency and sustainability.

Headline image by rmvictorino on Unsplash

3