Open the door

Open the door

It's a really hot and steamy summer. I prefer living in a house, but I live in an apartment. This apartment is a 15-story building, and my home is on the 14th floor. It was built in 1996, so it has an old design with 13 units on each floor, all arranged along a corridor. When we open the door, people passing by can easily see inside.

When I was a kid, my family used to leave the door open even at night. In the 29 years we've lived here, we've only been robbed once, and nothing else happened. All neighbors knew each other well, and it was normal to say hello when we met. Sometimes, when I lost my key, I would wait for my parents or siblings to come home since they had keys.

I've only been back home for three months. After graduating from high school, I lived in other cities to study or work. It seems things have changed, or maybe I have become a stranger here. It's rare to see homes with their doors open, even in summer. I assume it's because of air conditioning or less familiarity with neighbors. We have an air conditioner too, but I don't use it when I'm alone because it feels like a waste of energy.

Today, I opened the door, and I can feel the breeze and a bit of cool air. More light comes in, and it feels cozy. It's a pleasant summer day. If I had some watermelon, it would be perfect. For now, I'm enjoying icy water with mulberry concentrate made by my aunt.

Headline image by craft_ear on Unsplash

5