Speak it like you are playing a video game #3

Today I continue my retelling of an inspiring TED video by Marianna Pascal, an English teacher who shares her experience, that will be helpful not only for language learners but for everyone who starts a new activity in his life. This is part 3 on Journaly.

Pascal gives us a true example that paints a picture. Gives more details to the main idea of the story and add some emotional colouring.

It was a true story that happend with the speaker a while ago. She went to a pharmarcy as she had to buy the omega. There were tons of the omega in the pharmarcy. Some of the omega was high in DHA and another was high in EPA. She didn't know which one to choose. A sales rep happened to be there. Pascal walked over to her. She was that sort of well-dressed, professional woman. And the speaker describes the sales rep's look. The woman's eyes went all wide as she saw Pascal was walkin to her. Marianna Pascal told us that she knew that look of being judged as she has been to Malaysia a long time. That professional sales rep thought with a fear thar she needed to communicate with a native speaker.

A pharmacist started telling Pascal everything she knew about the omega, going all around in circles. And then the conversation finished, the speaker didn't have any idea what to buy. She went up to the girl behind the counter. Marianna Pascal knew her English level was very low and this girl has no fear to communicate.

They had that small talk.

The girl - EPA for heart, DHA for brain. Is your heart OK?

The speaker - Year, my heart is OK.

The girl - Is your brain OK?

The speaker - I think, my brain is not as good as it used to.

The girl - Then take the DHA omega.

That way this problem was solved. Pascal tells us about two different kinds of communication. We had the one who has a high level and totally focused on oneself and getting it right. The practice shows it ineffective. Another who has a low level but totally focused on a person she was talking and getting a result. Therein lies the difference. The speaker believes that this distinction is really important to the future of Malaysia.

0