[short writing task] British Stereotypes

culture
podcasts
habits
intercultural communication

I am doing some short Writing tasks to familiarise myself again with using English.

It's very conventional and so are the topics at times, but I am very rusty and it's perfect to "get wet".

Here is today's topic:

What are your stereotypes of the British people?

When I think of British people, I always think first of their famous love for tea. It was one of the first things that I'd learnt about Brits at school, and I remember that our English teacher showed us a video commercial for the Typhoo tea brand. It gave us all a good chuckle and I remember the visual of the ad up until now.

So I wasn't quite sure if that was still true in modern UK, as the ad was rather dated and my teacher herself was already of a certain age at that time. But a few English people that I have gotten to know while travelling assured me that it was a natural thing for them to have a few cuppas a day, without delving much into what kind of tea they preferred.

All of them displayed really good manners, which reinforced my idea of British people as being gentle and cultivated, an image that I got from old films. (Funnily enough, the depiction that I got of Brits from more modern films or tv series was less gentlemanly, as half of the dialogues were made of swear words.)

I also discovered during that trip that trying to cook together can prove challenging when the team is comprised of members from all over the world:

One of our friends who was a bit on the cheeky side, kept having a go at our English friend's opinion that we should "cook

the pasta until it sticks to the wall". She definitely got on his wrong side that night when she deemed him "a waste of space" in the kitchen.

It didn't seem to keep her up at night, as she repeatedly invited him for a drink the rest of our stay.

Surprisingly enough, he was always up for it. Which lead me to think that English people are rather gentle and forgiving.

All's well that ends well.

Note: Today's topic is from the British English Podcast by Charlie Baxter.

There are some exercises included in the Academy package for learners, and this was one of the assignments.

0