How I learnt Spanish by watching content meant for native speakers on my first month.

reading

I have decided to start learning spanish early this month.

And how did I do it? I warmed up with Bookbox which is my go-to animated storybook with subtitles in the target language. I know this will work for me because it worked when I decided to start learning Italian.

After several of these animated storybooks, i started a Facebook group (which currently has only one member: me) and started collecting real content. I started hunting and binge-watching youtube video on stuff that kept me going, stuff that I usually watch in English, but now i search for in Spanish.

Among those I watched were Veritasium Spanish, a channel I have always watched in English for their scientific contents but they dubbed it in Spanish. So I went back and forth between the English version and the Spanish version. I am also a fan of Language Learning Theories and polyglot tips. So I searched for those in Spanish (and Italian, which I am better at because it is closer to Latin, and I have been at it longer).

So I watched Luca Lamparelli's video interviews (which is in multiple languages for obvious reasons). I also watched El Jardin de Martìn's video on Comprehensible Input Theory entitled "Aprendizaje vs Acquisicion". This was a week ago and I can follow the video till the end and actually understood 60-70% of what Martin was talking about. Of course, I already know Krashen's theory (hence my current approach) but this is native youtuber speaking and I am still on my first month!

Later I went to my group and started collecting more videos and blogs about Comprehensible Input, all in Spanish.

Then I am sidestracked and today, after writing this post, I think I should keep at this.

0