A Dilemma

A Dilemma

fiction

A PSLE continuous writing practice

Theme: A Dilemma

Prompt Pictures: An upset boy holding his head/a wallet with some notes/ a bicycle (Use at least one of the three pictures)

I came back to the classroom after the PE lesson and a small slip of paper jutting out of my pencil case caught my attention. I took it out. It read, “Give me 50 dollars or else I will tell the whole class that you peed your pants in P4. Meet me behind the basketball court during recess. –Anonymous” I drew a sharp intake of breath and felt goosebumps rising on my arms. Turning around, I sensed peculiar stares from all angles as if the author of the note could be anyone in this class. I settled uneasily back onto my chair and crumpled the slip of paper in my clenching hand.

For the following lesson, I did not pay any attention to a single word the teacher said. My mind was wondering whether I should report to the teacher or not. I turned to look out of the window, hoping to assuage my anxiety. But the carefree chirping of the birds outside only heightened my agitation.

Subconsciously, I fished out my wallet, wanting to check whether I had enough money. A voice argued in my head, “How could you yield to the blackmail? These 50 dollars took you half a year to save up!” I furrowed my brows. Another voice protested, “If you don’t do as he told you to do, you will be the laughing stock of the whole class!” I shuddered to think of the consequences. Sweat beads formed on my forehead. I sprawled on the desk, banging my head but it did not help. I decided to unleash my upset on my hair, trying to pull it out.

Finally, Mrs. Tan, my science teacher, could not take it anymore. She shouted at me angrily, “Michael Chue, you have been absent-minded since the start of the class. Stay back during the recess and I need an explanation for all your funny moves!” I lowered my head and my face reddened. Not long, the recess bell chimed. Students swarmed out and made a beeline to the canteen except for me with Mrs. Tan in the classroom. “Now, explain to me why you had been distracted since the moment I stepped in,” Mrs. Tan asked in a stern face. I swallowed hard, feeling an inexplicable urge to confess but I could not will my lips open and my tongue was tied. I shook my head slowly but continuously and my face was starting to burn. As the time ticked by, I peeked at the clock on the wall. It was nearing the end of the recess and the word “basketball court” suddenly flashed in my mind. I was desperately hoping Mrs. Tan could dismiss me immediately so that I could rush over there but she just kept pressing me for an answer. “I think I’d better call your parents over.” Her patience was wearing thin.

Just then, the bell rang again, signaling the end of the recess. The sound reduced me to an emotional wreck. Overwhelmed, I couldn't hold back my tears and started mumbling incoherently, “Some…somebody, threatened to tell…the whole class…my se…secret if I…don’t give…give him 50 do…dollars.” Mrs. Tan’s expression softened, “Oh! What is it? You should have told me earlier. Tell me more about it. I’ll help you.”

To my surprise, it did not take Mrs. Tan much effort to sort out the culprit among the students in my class and she made sure the blackmailer would receive the punishment he deserved. Justice finally prevailed. I breathed a sigh of relief and I was glad that I was able to make a wise decision in such a dilemma.

1