The Fastfood Industry

The Fastfood Industry

culture

During the last fifty years, the fast food industry has become one of the most developed and powerful industries in the world. Fast food restaurants like McDonald’s and KFC have changed the restaurant industry and influenced the lives of millions of people. Whenever we can't have a proper meal, we buy a hamburger and french fries without giving it a second thought; they've become things we've gotten used to.

For better or for worse, the fast food industry has proven to be a powerful force in people’s lives, transforming every facet of society. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about someone eating fast food every day or someone who has never taken a bite of a burger; it has become impossible to avoid the ubiquitous Wendy’s or McDonald’s in this day and age. In many respects, fast food is not just food anymore but a reflection of people’s culture and attitudes. What we eat turns out to be more revealing than our culture or even technological progress. No doubt, the fast food industry has positively contributed to people’s lives to some extent. It’s hard not to admit that visiting Taco Bell or TGI Friday's restaurants is much more convenient than buying food at a supermarket and cooking it at home. It seems that many people acknowledge its convenience since, for example, Americans spend half of their income on eating out—mainly in fast food restaurants.

So why are fast food restaurants so popular? It would be difficult to imagine the opposite scenario given the amount of money world-famous fast food brands spend on their promo campaigns. Ronald McDonald is the second most famous character in the world after Santa Claus, because McDonald’s spends more money on marketing and advertising than any other fast food franchise. 

Fast food restaurants are also one of the largest employers in the world; it’s reported that 1 out of 8 Americans has been employed or will be employed at a fast food restaurant at some point in their lives. Because of that, it’s believed that fast food restaurants actually create jobs and help reduce unemployment. That sounds like a good thing, except that everything isn't as rosy as it may seem. A job in a fast food restaurant is commonly associated with unskilled and low-paid labour without any kind of social guarantees or prospects such as rising up the corporate ladder or learning new skills.

In fact, the fast food industry represents the worst aspects of our society—its insatiable urge to consume, the widening gap between rich and poor. The whole process of purchasing both fast food and new products has become so routine and uneventful that now people take it for granted, like taking a bath or driving a car. Watching someone in front of you in a McDonald’s queue buying and eating a combo meal is as uninteresting as doing it yourself.

Most of the independent businesses have also been destroyed by the chain restaurants and franchises. In many big cities, it’s impossible to stumble upon a small tea shop or an independent café anymore. Restaurants like McDonald’s provide the same experience for every consumer across the globe, supporting consistency in their philosophy and business strategy. As a result, people prefer to buy from franchises and chain stores so as to avoid possible negative experiences. When you can get the same cheeseburger and french fries in any fast food restaurant, whether it be in a quiet suburb or a bustling city, there’s no need to bother  trying new restaurants anymore. Anyone can now spend their entire life eating only in fast food restaurants without ever trying the local cuisine or cooking at home.

At the end of the day, understanding our values and beliefs is what can help us figure out our attitude toward fast food restaurants. Some people eat  fast food on a daily basis without any idea of the harm these companies do. Others choose to ignore the problems surrounding the fast food industry while continuing to spend money at Wendy’s or TGI Friday's. It’s true that ready-made food is much more convenient in terms of saving time and resources, but is fast food really worth the consequences? Everyone has to decide for themself.

Headline image by introspectivedsgn on Unsplash

5